Now that KDE SC 4.5 is out, I went ahead and upgraded my Mandriva Linux Spring 2010 from KDE SC 4.4 to KDE SC 4.5. Though the process is pretty simple, here is a simple step by step guide to upgrade to KDE SC 4.5. Please note that there may be other ways, but these steps use just the GUI. No command line involved here. So here we go
Step 1: Selecting the mirror
- Head here and select a mirror.
- Select the one closest to your location.
- Copy the URL of the mirror
Step 2: Add Media
- Open the Mandriva Control Center by clicking “Configure Your Computer” from the menu.
- Provide the root password when prompted
- Click “Configure media sources for install and update“
- Select File > Add a custom medium
- Enter the details in the “Add a medium” dialog and click Ok.
- Close the “Configure Media” window by clicking Ok again.
Step 3: Updating your system
- In the MCC, click “Update your system“
- Updates from the newly added repository will appear.
- Apply the updates
Step 4: Login to KDE SC 4.5
After the updates have been downloaded and installed, logout and log back in